Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Da Nang it!

Chris did a fantastic job describing Da Nang and Hoi An already, so I won't be repetitive here. For me, the greatest thing about our time in these two cities was that we were able to meet up with some of my father's old colleauges. They really went out of their way to show us a good time.

Kumu gave us a tour of Da Nang including the pants factory as Chris described. Da Nang is mostly a stop over point to other destinations, but it has a few highlights including the Lady Buddha statue that is just being finished and the Marble Mountain that Chris and I toured ourselves.




KUMU AND ME AT LADY BUDDHA TEMPLE


LADY BUDDHA AND HAPPY BUDDHA







MARBLE MOUNTAIN
One of the cities close to Da Nang that is a famous tourist stop is Hoi An. I think Chris mentioned that Hoi An is best known for its tailors. I'll remember it for two things. One - the 30 mosquito bites I got on just my right calf while dining at an outside restaurant by the river. Welcome to Southeast Asia! Two - the AMAZING dinner we had with Jackie, Hahn and Felipe, my father's friends, at Before and Now.

Chris and I met up with Jackie and crew around 7 pm on a friday night in Hoi An at the Before and Now bar/restaurant. We met downstairs and it seemed just like a local touristy hang out. There was loud American music, a large bar, and people playing pool. We all decided that Italian food sounded good and to my surprise, instead of going to another local, Jackie led us upstairs to an upscale looking restaurant. In the meantime, a friendly looking Vietnamese fellow came into the restaurant in street clothes and happily said hello to us. When we sat down, the man returned in a chef's hat and jacket. It turns out that he was the head chef and that he had been at a party, but when Jackie and co. showed up for dinner he was called in to cook just for us! We had the best seafood dinner including shrimp as large as lobsters, seabass and great Chilean wine that Felipe picked out because that is his home country. To give you an idea how good the food was, I NEVER EVER EVER eat shrimp, but that night I had some of Chris' shrimp and a shrimp appetizer! Needless to say, it was a wonderful time that ended with chocolate pie and as Chris mentioned, Jager shots. I feel no need to expand. :)



JACKIE, HAHN, FELIPE and US AT BEFORE AND NOW


ME, RESTAURANT OWNER, CHEF, and COUSIN(?)

PS - Check out the beautiful red silk shirt I'm wearing in these pics. This is one of my gifts from Chris for my birthday. Thanks, Chris!

3 comments:

Tina,  February 18, 2010 at 7:12 PM  

The pictures are awesome! What an amazing sight.

I love the shirt! It's good to see you are doing so well and having such a great time. Miss you my friend, but am so very happy you are where you are!
Love you!

Katie February 21, 2010 at 2:46 AM  

Love you too, T! Miss u!

Margie February 21, 2010 at 3:28 PM  

Dear Chris,
What Great taste you have! The blouse is beautiful!.
Kate,
These pics are great. What fun you must have had. Am impressed that you tried shrimp!
M;-)

  © Free Blogger Templates Blogger Theme II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP